Friday 29 August 2014

6. Duke Ellington – Ellington At Newport [1956]























6. Duke Ellington – Ellington At Newport [1956]

I get it, I really do

I realise that jazz isn't really my thing. It's not that I dislike it, it's more that I don't have enough experience of listening to it to really understand what makes a good jazz album & what makes a bad one. I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to, but I'm just not there yet.

The first thing I notice about this album is that it has around 40 tracks and lasts for over 2 hours. There is no way I can digest that much jazz in one sitting. However like a lot of jazz albums from that time record companies have added and added tracks to albums to the point where they are barely recognisable from the original album. So I decided to ignore all that and just listen to the handful of tracks that made up the original album which clocked in at a much more manageable 44 minutes.

I get it that Duke Ellington is a jazz icon and I'm sure this album must have influenced a hell of a lot of people. But to my uneducated ears it simply made some pleasant background music. I wish I could say that certain parts of it grabbed my attention such a a particularly well played solo or a pleasing melody, but nothing grabbed me unfortunately. I'm not saying this is a bad record at all, just that after it had finished I struggled to recall anything memorable from what I had just heard.
Sorry

Rating - 1 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment